Map & History
Licensed acute beds: 536
Exit Interstate 8 at Grossmont Center Drive:
Grossmont Hospital features a new, five-story Emergency and Critical Care Center. The Grossmont Healthcare District contributed more than $4 million in grants and sponsorships to the Grossmont Hosiptal Foundation's fund raising for the new Emergency Department.
Grossmont Hospital is the largest and most comprehensive health care facility in East County, with a service area covering 750 square miles. In addition to comprehensive acute care services, Grossmont offers such varied programs as cardiac care, physical rehabilitation, orthopedics, oncology, pediatrics, mental health, hospice, sleep disorder care and hyperbaric medicine. A 62-bed women's health care center provides specialized health care for women of all ages. Grossmont Hospital also has a large and active senior program, and provides extensive community education and outreach services.
Grossmont Hospital offers quality care and services that set community standards, exceed patients' expectations and are provided in a caring, convenient, cost-effective, and accessible manner.
Grossmont Healthcare District was founded as Grossmont Hospital District in 1952 by civic leaders and physicians who wished to establish a new hospital to satisfy the unmet healthcare needs of the people of San Diego’s East County.
Grossmont Hospital was built with taxpayer funds and opened for business in 1955. Operation of the hospital was under the control of a publicly elected, five-member board of directors serving four-year terms.
Over the next 35 years, the Hospital District Board of Directors presided over the growth of a small rural community facility as it expanded into a 450-bed medical center. Grossmont Hospital became the region’s largest employer with 2,700 full-time employees and a medical staff of 650 doctors.
In 1991, the District Board
decided to turn over the hospital operations to Sharp HealthCare. The
affiliation agreement included the establishment of a non-profit public
corporation, the Grossmont Hospital Corporation.
Since the 1991 transaction, the District Board has continued to support the hospital with monetary grants to improve and enhance the physical plant and its high-tech equipment. The board has also provided grants to worthy health care organizations throughout the district.
Because the board's focus has broadened to include more general health care needs and not just hospital services, the board changed its name to the Grossmont Healthcare District in 1997.
In 2001, the lease was modified to give the District five seats on the Grossmont Hospital Corporation Board.
In 2002, coinciding with the
Grand Opening of the new Grossmont Health Care Center at Briercrest
Park, the District celebrated the 50th Anniversary of its founding.